What You'll Learn
This program teaches participants how to identify locations where asbestos may be present and find sections of the asbestos regulation that deal with the classification of asbestos work.
Asbestos is classified by the Ministry of Labour as a “designated substance” with its own regulation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Regulation 278 is titled “Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Buildings and Repair Operations” and identifies hazard control and the procedures for safe use and handling.
Who Should Attend
All workers with the potential exposure to asbestos should attend this training. Any employee that may come into contact with Asbestos such as those who may be engaged in the maintenance or repair of buildings and/or plant. It is particularly important that any persons who have responsibility for controlling buildings receive training.
Upon completion of this course the trainee should be able to:
- Identify where Asbestos are likely to be located in buildings.
- Understand the risks to occupants and those undertaking repairs, maintenance, refurbishment or any activity likely to disturb the asbestos.
- Identify and recognise what the Asbestos look like.
- Explain the types of asbestos and their chemical properties.
- Describe the health effects of exposure to asbestos.
- The different types of asbestos
- Asbestos uses and locations in construction
- Health hazards and controls
- The hazards of asbestos exposure
- Personal hygiene and work practices.
- The use, cleaning and disposal of respirators and protective clothing.
- Legislative requirement
- Duties of responsible parties
Group Training Discounts
|Group Training Discount||Discount|
- Participants must be from the same organization.
- Participants must register for the same course.
However, course dates and locations can vary.
- Registrations must be received by Spark Safety at
the same time.
- Ontario Regulation 278/05, Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Buildings and Repair Operations
- *This program does not qualify participants for Type 3 removal. All workers including supervisors involved in Type 3 operations must complete an approved Asbestos Abatement training program
- Participant Manual