Happy November, Sparksters! Here at Spark Safety we are excited that it is Fall Prevention Month. We want to encourage organizations to be part of a larger effort to prevent slips, trips and falls in the workplace.
According to the Association of Workers Compensation Boards of Canada, there were approximately 48,000 lost time claims related to falls in the workplace and 63 workers did not get to go home at the end of their workday as a result of falls in 2018. These numbers are overwhelming, considering the improvements and regulations surrounding safety training, knowledge, skills, and PPE. Putting these in practise, we can provide a safe and healthy workplace for your employees and ensure everyone goes home at the end of their workday.
Some of us question how these incidents are still happening? From a statistics standpoint, a majority or 67% of accidents or falls happen from the same level or what we call slips or trips. The other 30% are falls that occur from a height.
Some common Slips, Trips and Falls Hazards, from the same level or an elevated level are:
- Seasonal hazards – rain, snow
- Slippery surfaces – grease, oil
- Poor house keeping in walking working areas
- Poorly maintained equipment
- Improper or no guard rails
- Poor lighting
- Not using PPE properly or at all
- Improper use of equipment, such as ladders
Ways to Prevent Falls in the Workplace
- Encourage your employees to report slips, trips and fall hazards
- Clean up spills immediately and mark them accordingly
- Removing obstacles and clutter from high traffic areas
- Wearing proper footwear with added traction
- Using the proper light where applicable and using a flashlight when room lighting isn’t available
- Ensure you have proper training and certifications for the work you are performing
Spark Safety offers a wide range of training, to help your workplace prevent slips, trips and falls. Check our training calendar for upcoming Working at Heights and refresher training or contact us if you have any questions about how we can help you prevent slip, trips and falls in your workplace. Let us Bring Safety to Life in your Workplace.